HOLYOKE CITY HALL
Masonry | Carpentry | Doors & Windows | Roofing | Sheet Metal | Cresting & Finials
Construction of Holyoke City Hall was completed in 1876. The building was designed by Charles B. Atwood who at the age of 22 was practicing with the firm of Ware & Van Brunt of Boston. The exterior of the Victorian Gothic building is finished with Monson granite. In 1890 Atwood joined Daniel H. Burnham after the death of John Wellborn Root as Designer-in-Chief of the Chicago World's Fair where Atwood designed more than 60 buildings. The Holyoke City Hall is a contributing building in the federally listed north High Street Historic District.
The exterior restoration work included complete window restoration and pointing and repair of the entire granite exterior. Structural repairs and brick masonry pointing in the belfry and clock tower were done. New polychrome slate roofing was installed on the clock tower to replace the existing asphalt shingles and replicate the original roof covering. The clock tower turret sheet metal roofs, originally tinned iron, were replaced with lead coated copper. The cresting and finials were replaced with new materials to replicate the originals and the wooden tower dormers were restored. New flat seam sheet metal roofing was installed on the Dwight Street entry portico.