UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST
Drainage | Landscape | Masonry | Carpentry | Roofing | Sheet Metal
French Hall was constructed in 1907-1908 for instruction in floriculture and market gardening. Its connecting greenhouses allowed for practical experimentation and research in these subjects. The building was designed by William Ritchie of Boston who also oversaw an addition in 1914. The hall is named for Henry Flagg French, first president of the institution (1864-66) and father of the famous sculptor, Daniel Chester French. The facade is of Georgian design with a central pediment, a segmental arched doorway, and unusually decorative brickwork. The project included slate and sheet metal roofing replacement on the main hall and a connecting ell. The entire wooden soffit, fascia and built in gutter was rebuilt. New sheet metal gutters, leaders, and conductor heads were installed and connected to a new underground drainage system. Slate and wood dormers were restored and painted. The exterior brick masonry was pointed and the terra cotta trim repaired. The foundation was waterproofed and a new perimeter drain system installed. New planting was designed for the west entry yard and a new elliptical entry walk constructed.