UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST
Masonry | Carpentry | Roofing | Waterproofing
Exterior restoration at the 1910 entomology, zoology, and geology building designed by C.P. Hoyte of Boston. The design is Georgian Revival with brick and stone trim, overhanging bracketed eaves, and vertical strips of brick at the corners and between the windows all suggesting Georgian without copying the style directly. The building is named for Charles H. Fernald who was appointed to the professorship of zoology and lecturer on veterinary science in 1886. The project work included replacement of slate and copper roofing and insulation of the roof plane. Areas of low slope built-up roofing were replaced with a new single ply thermoplastic system. Prominent copper roof ventilators were replicated and new copper gutters, leaders, and conductor boxes were installed. Deteriorated bracketed eaves were replicated with the remainder being restored. The entire below grade brick and stone foundation was waterproofed and a new underground drainage system installed. The exterior brick and stone masonry was restored including replacement of cast stone copings and trim.